JoySnes question

Page 1/2
| 2

By Mudammir

Supporter (15)

Mudammir's picture

25-05-2022, 20:40

Hey everyone,

Has anyone had any issues with the JoySnes adapter?
All the buttons work as mentioned except for the up button. It doesn't register anything on the MSX2, but the up button works perfectly fine on the SNES and Super Famicom.

Login or register to post comments

By Popolon_fr

Resident (64)

Popolon_fr's picture

26-05-2022, 02:02

Hello,

It looks like a cut wire on the DB9 cable side or a bad contact on the plug connected to the joystick port. Contact me directly here. First, test the adapter on the joystick port B of your MSX computer.

Best regards,

By Colemu

Hero (539)

Colemu's picture

26-05-2022, 12:56

I have a JoySNES, and it is quite annoying that it doesn't seem to get nearly as much support as the JoyMega Crying
The latest example being the Galious Enhanced v1.04 patch.

I guess I bought the wrong one.. oO

By gdx

Enlighted (5491)

gdx's picture

26-05-2022, 13:23

Take one of each like me and you will have the best of each! Big smile

By Colemu

Hero (539)

Colemu's picture

26-05-2022, 13:29

gdx wrote:

Take one of each like me and you will have the best of each! Big smile

Will do! Wink
Do I need to buy a 6 button Megadrive controller? I have 2 contollers but they are the standard 3 button type

By gdx

Enlighted (5491)

gdx's picture

26-05-2022, 14:32

6 buttons is necessary for some games but you can answer yourself when you have a Joymega. It depends on what games you want to play.

I made my Joymega myself the same way the JoySNES was made because I don't want a game controller hanging on the joystick port by solders of a little PCB.

By Mudammir

Supporter (15)

Mudammir's picture

26-05-2022, 16:30

Popolon_fr wrote:

Hello,

It looks like a cut wire on the DB9 cable side or a bad contact on the plug connected to the joystick port. Contact me directly here. First, test the adapter on the joystick port B of your MSX computer.

Best regards,

Hi, I messaged you on the public email!

By Mudammir

Supporter (15)

Mudammir's picture

26-05-2022, 17:03

Colemu wrote:

I have a JoySNES, and it is quite annoying that it doesn't seem to get nearly as much support as the JoyMega Crying
The latest example being the Galious Enhanced v1.04 patch.

I guess I bought the wrong one.. oO

I couldn't find one at the time, but I would like to have both of them. But I need to see why the JoySNES isn't working at first.

By Mudammir

Supporter (15)

Mudammir's picture

26-05-2022, 17:09

gdx wrote:

6 buttons is necessary for some games but you can answer yourself when you have a Joymega. It depends on what games you want to play.

I made my Joymega myself the same way the JoySNES was made because I don't want a game controller hanging on the joystick port by solders of a little PCB.

Same reason why I don't want to buy the PCB, and I don't have the tools and equipment to make it right now Crying

By Mudammir

Supporter (15)

Mudammir's picture

28-05-2022, 10:46

Ok so after opening up my MSX2, I realised some of the pins were a bit loose so I cleaned them up and resoldered them, then I chceked continuity to make sure everything was connected.
Now the up button works but the B button doesn't, which is weird. TBH I never actually tested that button before since the game I tested it with initially only used A and directions.
Any idea what could be the fix for this?

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3505)

sd_snatcher's picture

28-05-2022, 17:55

Check the continuity of the PCB tracks with a multimeter. It's common for many devices of this era (not only MSX) to have broken tracks on the joystick connectors due to the stress.

There are technics to restore broken tracks, depending on the extension of the damage. For most cases, it's enough to scrap to expose the copper and bridge the fissure with solder.

Page 1/2
| 2