Upgrading the NMS-8280

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3

By Shrapnel

Resident (38)

Shrapnel's picture

28-11-2014, 14:39

Hi everyone! =)
My 8280 came with a broken floppy drive and I think I'll replace it by ordering one from:
http://www.bas-ditta.info/verkoopenlinks/onderdelen%20negels...

Since I have to place an order, though, I was thinking about taking this chance and upgrade my machine as well.
What do you guys think is worth upgrading? MSX2+ or RAM or what?
And which parts would I need? I don't know what the memory-counter is for, for example; would I need it if adding some RAM?
And, last but not least, how hard-to-install are these parts?

Thanks in advance! =)

Login or register to post comments

By Daemos

Paragon (1959)

Daemos's picture

28-11-2014, 15:16

The memory upgrade requires a steady hand and offcourse the dram chips. You can find the exact instructions on the site of bas as well. The documentation is in Dutch I think but translation is no problem if you need it.

By meits

Scribe (6491)

meits's picture

28-11-2014, 22:39

The memory counter displays the real amount of RAM in your computer instead of the hard coded 128kB of (V)RAM at the bootscreen...

By Shrapnel

Resident (38)

Shrapnel's picture

29-11-2014, 00:08

Daemos wrote:

The memory upgrade requires a steady hand and offcourse the dram chips. You can find the exact instructions on the site of bas as well. The documentation is in Dutch I think but translation is no problem if you need it.

Took a quick look and, while I obviously didn't understand a single word =), the pictures were more than enough to show me that it must be some kind of soldering and rewiring hell. =(
What I didn't notice at first, though, is that the guy apparently doesn't sell 'loose' RAM chips. =(

By Shrapnel

Resident (38)

Shrapnel's picture

29-11-2014, 00:09

Meits wrote:

The memory counter displays the real amount of RAM in your computer instead of the hard coded 128kB of (V)RAM at the bootscreen...

So that's not exactly essential, but cool anyway. =D

By Daemos

Paragon (1959)

Daemos's picture

29-11-2014, 00:30

Quote:

What I didn't notice at first, though, is that the guy apparently doesn't sell 'loose' RAM chips. =(

one word. e-bay

By Repair-Bas

Paragon (1149)

Repair-Bas's picture

29-11-2014, 08:18

He is not selling parts?
Why not?
Cool

By Jipe

Paragon (1546)

Jipe's picture

29-11-2014, 12:09

you can upgrade to 2+ and the memory counter in on the 2+ rom
but before see schematics on HansO site , required modification for the signal synchro use for digit
look more upgrade here : http://www.msxvillage.fr/forum/topic.php?id=1343
see NMS8250/55/80

By Shrapnel

Resident (38)

Shrapnel's picture

29-11-2014, 15:39

Repair-Bas wrote:

He is not selling parts?
Why not?
Cool

That's just what I assumed since there are no prices for the RAM modules under the 'loose' colu... wait, aren't you THAT guy? =D

By Shrapnel

Resident (38)

Shrapnel's picture

29-11-2014, 15:45

Jipe wrote:

you can upgrade to 2+ and the memory counter in on the 2+ rom
but before see schematics on HansO site , required modification for the signal synchro use for digit
look more upgrade here : http://www.msxvillage.fr/forum/topic.php?id=1343
see NMS8250/55/80

Thank you very much, there seems to be a lot of interesting stuff on that page.
It's a pity that:
a) I can't read French, lol!
b) it really looks complicated, I should look for someone who's good at soldering and rewiring.

But, once again, thank you! =)

By Shrapnel

Resident (38)

Shrapnel's picture

08-12-2014, 16:02

Now that I think of it... would it make sense to apply just the MSX2+ upgrade and buy a MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD with 512Kb instead of upgrading the onboard RAM?

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3