MMM cartridge + MSX -> ColecoVision's games

Page 30/31
23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | | 31

By alexito

Paladin (752)

alexito's picture

05-05-2022, 17:28

@gdx about BC's Quest Titles my test where done using TurboR and MSX1 (SANNO + F18A VDP) only but is good to know these are fixed. Thanks for news about Spy Hunter and Star Fire.

By gdx

Enlighted (5491)

gdx's picture

06-05-2022, 03:24

If you go to the right all the way to the end of the path without into enter a cave, you will see tiles display incorrectly on Turbo R and on MSX1 the screen will go all black.

I feel like the program is jumping to a wrong place. When I launch this Colecovision ROM (24k) on the Colecovision emulator I have, there are similar graphic glitches during the game (probably a timing issue), then the emulator crashes with the error message "Fatal Assertion Failure" a little before you get to the far right. So this ROM has a real problem. It's not a conversion problem.

By sunn

Expert (97)

sunn's picture

07-05-2022, 21:59

As far as I know the same bug was in the MSX version. The patch is here. https://msxfx.blogspot.com/2019/02/nuevo-parcheo-bc-ii-grogs...

The Coleco Canada version of the game should be ok.

Look also (and the 2nd page) : https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/software/the-end-of-grogs...

By gdx

Enlighted (5491)

gdx's picture

08-05-2022, 10:22

If the MSX patch is right, ColecoVision ROMs are not buggy because both bytes are same to patched MSX version.

Canadian (24k) version:
A96A -> 04
A981 -> 14

International (32k) version:
A948 -> 04
A95F -> 14

So I guess it's a timing issue and these bugs can still occur on some MSX computers and emulators. ColecoVision console has really painful interrupt handling.

By sunn

Expert (97)

sunn's picture

11-05-2022, 09:25

About Spy Hunter: could it be possible to support a combination of MSX joystick and keyboard? The game works nicely with Joy2Snes but I would prefer a MSX joystick if possible. Currently it is hard to find joy2snes adapters so a joystick would be easier to most users.

Bump 'n' Jump seemed to play with MMM but it was really slow. Did play it some time anyhow Smile.

By gdx

Enlighted (5491)

gdx's picture

13-05-2022, 17:45

Update for all COM files!

I fixed a few bugs (added the Mattel's Burger Time missing sound by stepping on the burgers, fixed a potential issue from Frenzy, Q*bert Qubes and StarWars), modified some buttons/keys mapping for two or three games, disabled the extended I/O for OCMs, completed all txt files and modified a little the loader to make a cleaner loading.

I also added BC's Quest For Tires I & II, and Missile Strike.

Download: COL4MMM.zip

sunn wrote:

About Spy Hunter: could it be possible to support a combination of MSX joystick and keyboard?

It's not a priority, but I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll make a version for the JoyMega when I'll know how to control it.

sunn wrote:

Bump 'n' Jump seemed to play with MMM but it was really slow. Did play it some time anyhow :).

I have no hope of improving that. This game is programmed in such a way that to run it on MSX, it becomes slower. I'd be amazed if anyone could find a better solution.

Fortunately, this game is an exception because most other games are more enjoyable to play on MSX than original versions on the Coleco console. I hard worked for it.

PS: I looking for the free version of Digger. Does anyone have this?

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/259431-how-to-start-digger...

By ducasp

Hero (550)

ducasp's picture

15-05-2022, 18:03

gdx wrote:

Update for all COM files!

I fixed a few bugs (added the Mattel's Burger Time missing sound by stepping on the burgers, fixed a potential issue from Frenzy, Q*bert Qubes and StarWars), modified some buttons/keys mapping for two or three games, disabled the extended I/O for OCMs, completed all txt files and modified a little the loader to make a cleaner loading.

I also added BC's Quest For Tires I & II, and Missile Strike.

Download: COL4MMM.zip

sunn wrote:

About Spy Hunter: could it be possible to support a combination of MSX joystick and keyboard?

It's not a priority, but I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll make a version for the JoyMega when I'll know how to control it.

sunn wrote:

Bump 'n' Jump seemed to play with MMM but it was really slow. Did play it some time anyhow :).

I have no hope of improving that. This game is programmed in such a way that to run it on MSX, it becomes slower. I'd be amazed if anyone could find a better solution.

Fortunately, this game is an exception because most other games are more enjoyable to play on MSX than original versions on the Coleco console. I hard worked for it.

PS: I looking for the free version of Digger. Does anyone have this?

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/259431-how-to-start-digger-homebrew-game/

Looks great, going to test it on SM-X, since OCM IPL leaves the switched I/O device selected, it was very likely to not work on real OCM's with Franky's. Don't have a Franky myself, but the SM-X build with Franky SN76489 is a close enough aproximation to test this, perhaps @Grauw has an OCM and Franky to test there as well, thanks for this nice update! :)

By sunn

Expert (97)

sunn's picture

19-05-2022, 07:08

Sadly there is no freeware version of Digger. This should be a complete list of all ColecoVision games including all homebrews:
https://cvaddict.com/list.php

If there is a download link that game has been released as a freeware.

But Collectorvision published it so you could ask them if it is ok to port it to the MSX? They seem to have no interest for MSX themselves.

By gdx

Enlighted (5491)

gdx's picture

19-05-2022, 10:55

From my research, it seemed to me that it became free but anyway, although i found it, finally I decided to not convert it because at first sight it seems quite complicated. I don't want to spend a lot of time converting this game. It lacks polish and the music sounds are too aggressive for my ears even on real hardware.

By sunn

Expert (97)

sunn's picture

28-05-2022, 09:34

Speaking of sounds: musical mapper cartidge sound volume is quite low. Is there some setting to make it louder?

Page 30/31
23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | | 31