Konami SCC Games Sound Enhancement

Page 1/2
| 2

Par alali.ahmed.t

Master (194)

Portrait de alali.ahmed.t

13-12-2022, 20:02

I am trying to run SCC sound enhanced on some of the cartridge games that I have using Carnivore2 and also SCC (F1 Spirit modded to be SCC) I tried the following games but the sound didn't change:

- Nemesis 1 (Gradius 1)
- King Fu 1
- King Fu 2
- Treasure of USAS

Am I expected to get better sound than the usual one when running SCC cartridge with the game cartridge?

!login ou Inscrivez-vous pour poster

Par tfh

Prophet (3428)

Portrait de tfh

13-12-2022, 21:01

alali.ahmed.t wrote:

I am trying to run SCC sound enhanced on some of the cartridge games that I have using Carnivore2 and also SCC (F1 Spirit modded to be SCC) I tried the following games but the sound didn't change:

- Nemesis 1 (Gradius 1)
- King Fu 1
- King Fu 2
- Treasure of USAS

Am I expected to get better sound than the usual one when running SCC cartridge with the game cartridge?

It's not enough to run these games with an SCC cartridge in your MSX. The games will just use the normal PSG Audio.
You can use a utility like NanemoSCC (https://www.msx.org/news/software/en/nandemoscc-v22-released) to alter the ROM's to use the SCC.

Par sdsnatcher73

Enlighted (4298)

Portrait de sdsnatcher73

14-12-2022, 18:14

Some of these games were released in the game collections on disk. These versions had SCC sound if you had the Snatcher cartridge. There is a tool in Louthrax‘ Game Room that can save these as ROM with normal SCC support.

Treasure of Usas got a new developed sound track for SCC (of course based on PSG version) but more than just a “simple” NandemoSCC release.

Par alali.ahmed.t

Master (194)

Portrait de alali.ahmed.t

14-12-2022, 19:05

Thank you guys for the information. very valuable.

Par JohnHassink

Ambassador (5684)

Portrait de JohnHassink

14-12-2022, 19:09

alali.ahmed.t wrote:

Thank you guys for the information. very valuable.

Here is a handy oversight for you of all the Konami Game Collections and the games that they contain:
https://www.generation-msx.nl/software/result?q=konami+game+...
A lot, but not all, of these games, have been updated with SCC support. At least, if you have the SCC+, or apply Louthrax his patch to it.

Par alali.ahmed.t

Master (194)

Portrait de alali.ahmed.t

19-12-2022, 18:30

JohnHassink wrote:
alali.ahmed.t wrote:

Thank you guys for the information. very valuable.

Here is a handy oversight for you of all the Konami Game Collections and the games that they contain:
https://www.generation-msx.nl/software/result?q=konami+game+...
A lot, but not all, of these games, have been updated with SCC support. At least, if you have the SCC+, or apply Louthrax his patch to it.

I will check it out, thanx

Par eimaster

Champion (285)

Portrait de eimaster

20-12-2022, 17:33

Is it possible to run Penguin Adventure with SCC music? Penguin Adventure is one of the best of Konami games containing great music tunes. It's still a mystery to me why Konami didn't made an SCC version like it did to other smaller games like Yie-Ar Kung-Fu 1 & 2!

Par JohnHassink

Ambassador (5684)

Portrait de JohnHassink

20-12-2022, 18:56

eimaster wrote:

Is it possible to run Penguin Adventure with SCC music? Penguin Adventure is one of the best of Konami games containing great music tunes. It's still a mystery to me why Konami didn't made an SCC version like it did to other smaller games like Yie-Ar Kung-Fu 1 & 2!

You can kind of 'fake' it by using a cool little tool called NandemoSCC by Tiny Yarou:
https://www.msx.org/news/software/en/nandemoscc-v22-released
https://www.tiny-yarou.com/sccplay_e.html
As it's an automated process ofcourse, the results are "hit and miss". Meaning that, sometimes it will sound good, sometimes not so much.
Actual official SCC remakes of the Penguin Adventure music were never released, but a long time ago I did a little test of how that may have sounded (only three songs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPEbRrGYImA&ab_channel=JohnH...

[EDIT: Whoops, I missed that tfh had already linked to the tool. Sorry]

Par JohnHassink

Ambassador (5684)

Portrait de JohnHassink

20-12-2022, 20:15

Oh, and to address your last question - indeed, both Yie-Ar Kung-Fu games are 'small' (16kB and 32kB respectively) compared to Penguin Adventure, which is a MegaROM of 128kB.

Back then, a bunch of smaller games would easily fit on a Konami Game Collection disk and also in the RAM memories of most MSX models, whereas bigger games could have been a bit more problematic regarding ROM size. This may also have meant difficulties in adding (a sound driver for - and the mapping of) SCC support. When those collections were released, the SCC had only been 'invented' for about a year ago.

Also, Penguin Adventure has a pretty lenghty and diverse soundtrack compared to those earlier games, which makes it quite the endeavour to re-arrange it all to SCC. All of this ofcourse translates to time and manpower, which means money.
So there could have been multiple reasons for Konami not doing it, actually. Smile

[EDIT: The only title that defeats the points that I made is Gradius, which also is a 128kB MegaROM and did actually get an overhaul on Konami GC]

Par Manuel

Ascended (19678)

Portrait de Manuel

20-12-2022, 22:50

Note that Gradius is actually only about 96kB.... so perhaps that explains it.

Par gdx

Enlighted (6436)

Portrait de gdx

21-12-2022, 01:09

A lot of SCC+ games from Konami Games Collections were badly converted to ROM. Among them sound works on emulator but not on real hardware. Compare the SHA of your versions with those in the following list to know if you have the correct versions.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gdx-msx/MSX-Roms-List/main...

Page 1/2
| 2