MSXdev21 #25 - Fantastic Football

MSXdev21 #25 - Fantastic Football

by MSXdev Team on 17-08-2021, 18:58
Topic: Challenges
Tags: msxdev21, MSXdev
Languages:

As there are not many football, or soccer, games released for MSX, MRC user mzoran's Fantastic Football is a welcome addition to the dev's games heap. Prep yourself for a good match, for the World Cup awaits you.

Fantastic Football features two game modes: regular or world cup. Kick the ball like you are the next Cruyff in this new MSXdev game and bring that cup back home.

Contestants have until the end of August to submit their entries. If you are enjoying this MSXdev game, why not consider donating to the prize money. 100% of the donations will go to the game developers.

The MSXdev21 contest runs from January 1st to September 1st, 2021.

Relevant link: Fantastic Football
Relevant link: Play online

Comments (21)

By AnsiStar

Expert (94)

AnsiStar's picture

17-08-2021, 20:17

I`m thrilled!! I hope there will be an cartridge version of this game.
He mzoran, thank you an good luck!! Wink

By Uninteresting

Master (228)

Uninteresting's picture

17-08-2021, 20:37

I haven't been a big fan of football games, but I am very happy to see a new football game on MSX. While on amateur level I could walk the ball into goal, on pro level I had enough trouble keeping the ball out of my own net. The crackling music is a bit distracting; is the crackling due to the crowd noise? (I played this only on WebMSX.)

Good luck in the contest, this is definitely an ambitious title!

By defdanny

Champion (318)

defdanny's picture

17-08-2021, 21:31

Hi Uninteresting,
yes, sometimes this small music tune interfers with crowd noise or whistle sound, then it sounds weird. If Zoran and me had more time we surely would have finetuned the sounds. Thats the nature of a competition, I guess.
and: Good Luck to you!

By inyigo

Champion (354)

inyigo's picture

17-08-2021, 21:44

Wow! Finally a new Football game on MSX. He looks excellent, he's fast, although I was only able to tie at the easiest level.

Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

By AnsiStar

Expert (94)

AnsiStar's picture

17-08-2021, 22:11

Hey, defdanny! Good luck for you too!! Wink

By Micha

Resident (35)

Micha's picture

17-08-2021, 23:48

Finally a game like Sensible Soccer / Kick Off onthe MSX ! Nice !

By QBee Sam

Master (253)

QBee Sam's picture

17-08-2021, 23:49

Fantastic entry, I'm sure I'm gonna enjoy it soooo much.

By albs_br

Champion (335)

albs_br's picture

18-08-2021, 00:35

Great game, that's gonna be an amazing MSX Dev edition.

By gdx

Enlighted (4693)

gdx's picture

18-08-2021, 12:04

Fantastic!

By shalafi

Resident (43)

shalafi's picture

18-08-2021, 15:41

Impressive to fit all this gameplay on 16K. Great work!

By cbsfox

Champion (375)

cbsfox's picture

18-08-2021, 16:26

Pretty impressive. All those screens in just 16k? unbelievable! Congrats. Great game.

By mzoran

Master (133)

mzoran's picture

18-08-2021, 16:28

There is some mistake, ROM is of 48k, perhaps shalafi meant in 16kb or RAM

By cbsfox

Champion (375)

cbsfox's picture

18-08-2021, 16:43

Ahhh ok. But still a great game! Congrats.

By shalafi

Resident (43)

shalafi's picture

18-08-2021, 17:15

mzoran wrote:

There is some mistake, ROM is of 48k, perhaps shalafi meant in 16kb or RAM

Yes, thanks for clarifying my poorly explained post :-D.
I mean, graphics you can put on resources... but the gameplay is CODE and that has to be on the RAM.

By cbsfox

Champion (375)

cbsfox's picture

18-08-2021, 17:37

Shalafi,

Actually not. The code from cartriges normally are in rom. The variables are in RAM.

By shalafi

Resident (43)

shalafi's picture

18-08-2021, 22:32

cbsfox wrote:

Shalafi,

Fair point, I just got too hooked on how BASIC compilers work, my bad.
Nevertheless, impressive game.

By mzoran

Master (133)

mzoran's picture

19-08-2021, 22:40

FYI. If someone read the manual, there is a link for download (GR8NET friendly). Per request of MSXdev'21 organizers I have removed the ROM file from there until the contest ends. Please use the MSXdev web site to download.

By CASDuino

Master (229)

CASDuino's picture

26-08-2021, 11:52

Would've been nice to convert this to a CAS file but unfortunately CASlink3 doesn't like the ROM. Great Sensi Soccer/Microprose Soccer type game.

By mzoran

Master (133)

mzoran's picture

26-08-2021, 12:07

CAS Version has been quietly inserted in the zip file available on the msxdev web, please redownload.

By CASDuino

Master (229)

CASDuino's picture

26-08-2021, 22:33

mzoran wrote:

That's awesome.

By CASDuino

Master (229)

CASDuino's picture

28-08-2021, 18:43

Created a TSX file for those that want one.

It can be downloaded from here.