Tutankham conversion source code

by muffie on 01-03-2010, 23:45
Topic: Development
Languages:

Back in 2008, we saw a stream of ColecoVision/SG-1000 to MSX conversions, fueled by a one-sided arms race between Muffie and his good friend SLotman. Today, Muffie released the complete source code of his Tutankham conversion.

His intention is to help potential MSX developers with converting other ColecoVision games, like Gyruss or Roc 'N Rope. Mufster's code is not very organised though, and will take some time to understand. Use Pasmo to assemble it, msxtut7_main.mac being the main file.

Relevant link: Tutankham conversion source code

Comments (29)

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6832)

ARTRAG's picture

02-03-2010, 07:54

Great! I hope this will open the way to other Coleco Conversions.

My wish list:
Jumpman Junior
Gateway to Apshai
Nova Blast
Wing War

just to tell some of them

By muffie

Paladin (933)

muffie's picture

02-03-2010, 13:24

Coleco BIOS and Game ROM were converted to text files with one byte "DB" per line. That way, it was extremely easy to patch'em.
BTW, _Wolf, thanks for fixing my English on the news.
Is that true that all Dutch know how to speak English?

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9950)

wolf_'s picture

02-03-2010, 15:06

It was hap, not me.

By MäSäXi

Paragon (1884)

MäSäXi's picture

02-03-2010, 17:05

By the way, muffie, do you have Finished version of your Pepper II Coleco port? The one I had, hanged always after game over, probably because MSX doesn´t have Coleco controller to restart game.

By muffie

Paladin (933)

muffie's picture

02-03-2010, 18:43

Hey MäSäXi. If I remember correctly COLECO had a numeric pad, and you have to press a key on it to restart. The pad emulation routine maps keys to MSX numbers. So, just at the game over screen, try to press 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, -_ or =+
I was planning to change that to space, but the Pepper II conversion was made in less than a day if I remember correctly.

By MäSäXi

Paragon (1884)

MäSäXi's picture

02-03-2010, 18:56

Thanks muffie, maybe I have to download it again someday and try numbers row. Smile

By muffie

Paladin (933)

muffie's picture

03-03-2010, 15:23

Developers would need a tool to transform the binary original ROM into text files.

DB 0fh
DB 0f6h
DB 0d0h
CALL SOM_0FAB-COLECO_DATA ;DB 00h
;DB 00h
;DB 07eh
DB 0e6h
DB 0f0h
DB 0fh

that way, patching and positioning the ROM is easy.
Extremely expensive tools...

03-03-2010, 21:15

Please, Heitor Barcellos (aka Muffie) isn't my friend. Crazy

By muffie

Paladin (933)

muffie's picture

03-03-2010, 21:51

He's right. I'm homophobic.
Can you please correct that hap?

By SLotman

Paragon (1240)

SLotman's picture

03-03-2010, 21:58

So you don't like yourself Muffie?

Personal attacks again... how childish of you.

By muffie

Paladin (933)

muffie's picture

03-03-2010, 22:05

What are you doing on this post?
* It's 100% Pascal-Free!
* I'm not charging per download!
* No free tickets for a Gloria Gaynor show in San Francisco
LOL!

By FiXato

Scribe (1733)

FiXato's picture

03-03-2010, 23:01

Why don't people see the "Stop Feeding The Trolls" signs?
Also, it might be an idea to have *OBJECTIVE* news posts… No subjective jokes that only regulars know and certainly no low stabs under water to get another flaming conversation running.

Is there a 'lock' option for newspost comments?

By SLotman

Paragon (1240)

SLotman's picture

03-03-2010, 23:24

Would be nice to have a 'ignore user' feature here... maybe even a 'ignore poster', since it seems hap has 'joined' muffie on his 'war' against me.
Too bad, it's acts like those that will really kill MSX.

By hap

Paragon (2040)

hap's picture

03-03-2010, 23:45

"good friend" is sarcasm, it's obvious to everyone that you two don't like eachother. I'm not picking anyone's side, the only thing I pick is my nose.

By muffie

Paladin (933)

muffie's picture

04-03-2010, 00:31

gosh, I hate ppl without any sense of humor.
That's between me and you SlOtman, leave hap out of that...
And fixato, plz, enough with that mature BS.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5602)

JohnHassink's picture

04-03-2010, 02:11

This is good news for developers!

My 2 cents regarding the Off Topic component of this discussion;
muffie, you know that I also like the occasional stirring things up and creating fuss with those taking things too seriously.
To put it short: the lulz.

We know SLotman is a good guy who feels things strong. Maybe his reactions are just what makes him attractive for you to tease a bit.
..but you know he really did nothing wrong. All he did was using his spare time to create some good & nice ports.

Your work is widely appreciated; I know I also like the humour and sharpness you bring in the community, for sure.
So, wouldn't (y)our wit and humour, but mostly (y)our bile better be spent on people who deserve it, you know who they are, the idiots, the leechers, the negative ones.
The ones who make us... Our SLotty ain't one of them, right?

..rather rip on negative factors than at someone who actually creates content. That's all.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9950)

wolf_'s picture

04-03-2010, 13:10

hap is the comedian among the crew, always digging into the past for odd references, or digging into things we've forgotten, combining them. It's nothing more than that: the stand-up comedian pulling some legs, like the ones you see on TV. MRC considers SLotman a friend, while muffie is balancing on a very thin cord. I don't think hap will change his style in the future, I kind of think it's not really all that bad. Hannibal

By cidra

Master (202)

cidra's picture

04-03-2010, 13:29

muffie, you're balancing...

By muffie

Paladin (933)

muffie's picture

04-03-2010, 15:28

Fair enough.
I consider hap, Bifi, GuyveR800, MäSäXi and Artrag friends (even if they don't). And Wolf is just balancing on a very thin cord. Oops... just felt.
Smile2

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6832)

ARTRAG's picture

04-03-2010, 19:24

I had sworn to muffie my eternal (platonic) love after his crapware entry (very à la Monty Python)
Smile

PS
About the quarrels between whoever, ATM I only belongs to the amused audience of the site.
Nowaday there are less and less MSX reason to visit this site (actually any site) so, IMHO, a bit of nice flames and trolling is acceptable even to keep the interest alive Wink

PPS
FiXato, are you going to start a flame against me?
Tongue

By lionelritchie

Champion (439)

lionelritchie's picture

04-03-2010, 22:27

By Kamelito

Supporter (3)

Kamelito's picture

08-09-2010, 13:30

Hi,
The link for Tutankham source code is broken, can you please post a valid link?
Thanks
Kamelito

By muffie

Paladin (933)

muffie's picture

24-09-2010, 23:36

It's hosted somewhere now. BUT I really don't know where!

By hbarcellos

Hero (637)

hbarcellos's picture

02-05-2012, 20:52

I think mars had the package hosted somewhere else.
Someone knows where I can get it? I would like to continue Muffie's work...

By hap

Paragon (2040)

hap's picture

02-05-2012, 20:57

This file? TutankhamMuffieColecoConversion_FullSourceCode.zip
I don't think muffie would like it if you stole his work. Nishi

By mars2000you

Enlighted (6182)

mars2000you's picture

03-05-2012, 00:04

Kamelito wrote:

Hi,
The link for Tutankham source code is broken, can you please post a valid link?
Thanks
Kamelito

Well,it's your lucky day, I still have this file on my HD and here's a temporary link :

By hbarcellos

Hero (637)

hbarcellos's picture

03-05-2012, 02:23

Thanks Mars.
BTW, can't you permanently host that somewhere?

By hbarcellos

Hero (637)

hbarcellos's picture

03-05-2012, 02:28

hap wrote:

This file? TutankhamMuffieColecoConversion_FullSourceCode.zip
I don't think muffie would like it if you stole his work. Nishi

Hmmmmmmmmm, actually I already did stole his work.
Check the main file "msxtut7_main.mac" comments at the beginning.

*PS* Actually I have just hacked your computer and changed that only on your file.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (6182)

mars2000you's picture

03-05-2012, 08:53

hbarcellos wrote:

Thanks Mars.
BTW, can't you permanently host that somewhere?

I'll add it later in one section of MSX blue.